A savory, gluten-free caramelized onion and roasted butternut squash pie recipe from Anna. Perfect for fall!
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- ¾ cup milk (*dairy free option below)
- ½ heavy cream (*dairy free option below)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shaved or finely grated, reserve ½ cup for top of filling. (*dairy free option below)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped (¼ tsp. dried)
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh sage, finely chopped (¼ tsp. dried)
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Dash of salt and pepper
- One Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix from Anna
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ oil
Use ½ the dough, pressed out into a 9inch pie plate (extra dough can be frozen)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Roast squash: Spread out on a parchment lined cookie sheet and toss with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Dash of salt and pepper. Roast until golden and tender, approx. 45 minutes
Caramelized onions: In a large pan sauté onion in 2-3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Cook long and slow for even caramelizing, 20-25 minutes.
Filling: Combine the eggs, milk, herbs and lemon zest. With a hand mixer beat on medium speed for 1 -2 minutes. Add cheese (1/2), stir to combine.
Assemble the Pie: Place caramelized onion on the bottom of the pie shell. Evenly distribute roasted butternut squash on top of onion. Pour filling over onion and butternut squash. Top with remaining cheese.
Bake for one hour or until filling is firm and golden.
*To make dairy free replace the milk products with coconut milk (the full fat variety) or almond milk (unsweetened). Can also use rice or soy milk. To replace the cheese either use your favorite cheese substitute or peel and shred on zucchini and sauté until golden. Use half the zucchini in the filling and lightly spread the remaining on top will become golden like cheese as it bakes.