My family loves grilled cheese and we are always experimenting with new “add-ins” like sliced apples, always a nice combination with a sharp cheddar cheese. This week we added caramelized veggies and a side of asparagus soup for a fresh and delicious dinner that did not involve the oven!
- 1 ½ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 ½ cup chopped kale (or spinach) leaves, stems removed
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10 slices of any of the Breads from Anna® bread mixes
- 5 thick slices Swiss cheese or non-dairy cheese alternative
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, and add onion and pepper. Stir and cook until onion begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 15 minutes until the onions and pepper are tender and caramelized, stirring frequently.
- Add kale or spinach, salt and pepper to skillet with onions; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in lemon juice and toss to coat. Place veggies in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat one side of each bread slice with butter or oil. Prepare two sandwiches at a time by placing four slices of bread, greased side down. Top two of the slices with ¼ cup of the veggies followed by one slice of cheese. Cook 3-4 minutes until bread begins to brown.
- Move bread slices with veggie and cheese topping to a cookie sheet. Top each with other toasted bread slice.
- Repeat for remaining 3 sandwiches.