With just a few ingredients and a hand-held mixer, you will be amazed at the transformation of eggs, a cup of our Pizza Crust Mix, a little lemon juice, water and a splash of vanilla into a delicious Gluten-Free Sponge Cake. We are really thrilled with the smooth, light texture and how wonderfully moist it stays for days. Be creative and add your own favorite toppings such as fresh strawberries or yogurt with a touch of maple syrup. It is a delight to serve this delicious, Gluten-Free Sponge Cake to friends and family.
Yields 1 - 9 inch tube cake
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3T lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1T water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Breads From Anna® Pizza Crust Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Separate the eggs. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar gradually.
- Add water, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat in flour.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Then add cream of tartar and salt. Beat mixture until whites are stiff, but not until they are dry. Fold this whipped mixture into yolk mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 9 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes to one hour, or until done.