These gluten-free beer pretzels make a great Oktoberfest treat that is very easy to make and quite delicious! Pair with your favorite gluten-free beer, good friends, and a cool fall afternoon.
1 package Breads from Anna Pizza Crust Mix
1 packet active dry yeast (included with mix)
1 cup gluten free beer
2-3 tablespoons honey or sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup oil
2-3 jumbo eggs, lightly beaten (total egg measurement will be 2/3 – ¾ cup). *To make these egg free, see tip, below*
1 egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon course sea salt
- Place mix, including yeast, into the bowl of a heavy duty mixer. Blend on low speed for 3 minutes, gradually adding beer, vinegar, oil, honey, and eggs. Slowly increase mixer speed to high. Beat for 7-8 minutes, scraping sides of bowl during mixing time.
- Oil baking sheets.
- Place ½ of dough into pastry bag or gallon size ziplock bag with small triangle snipped from corner of the bag (hole should measure ¾ inch diameter). Squeeze dough into pretzel shapes onto baking sheets (see image, below). Repeat with remaining dough.
- Let dough rise on pans for 45 minutes.
- While dough is rising, preheat oven to 400 degrees, and beat one egg yolk and 2 Tablespoons water in a small bowl.
- When dough is roughly doubled in size, brush pretzels with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
Makes approximately 12 pretzels.
Pretzels are best enjoyed while still warm from the oven! We suggest a honey mustard dipping sauce (1 part honey and 1 part mustard).
*To make these pretzels egg free, we use the same method we use to make our Pizza Crust Mix egg free: Mix 3/4 cup warm water and 2 heaping teaspoons of baking powder together. Add this mixture, which will equal the total egg amount needed for the Pizza Crust Mix, to the flour mixture in place of the egg.