Like my friend Jennifer, you might be skeptical about the unusual ingredients in this muffin. But Jennifer changed her mind after one bite, and we think you will too. We love these muffins because they freeze well and taste great for breakfast, lunch, or snack on the way to the soccer park or ball diamond! Keep your car clean and kids healthy!
Yield: 24 muffins
- 1 package Breads from Anna Apple Pancake & Muffin Mix
- 2 jumbo eggs
- ⅓ cup of oil
- 1 ¼ cups of applesauce
- 1 apple, diced small
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 4 cups grated carrots (6-8 large carrots)
- 1 lb. ground turkey or 2 cups leftover cooked turkey
- 2 cups chopped onion
- ¼ cup oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary (optional)
- Toss grated carrots with salt and 2 tablespoons oil, and place in a single layer on a large sheet pan in a 400-degree oven. Roast carrots for 20 minutes, then stir. Roast carrots an additional 5-10 minutes until lightly browned. Carrots will shrink slightly while roasting. Set aside.
- Cook ground turkey into fine crumbles or chop leftover turkey into very small pieces. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, and add onions. Stir and cook until onions begin to brown. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 20 minutes until the onions are tender and caramelized, stirring frequently. During last 3-4 minutes of cooking, add rosemary to skillet with onions. Set aside.
- Prepare Apple Muffins according to package instructions.
- As a final step before baking muffins, fold in chopped apple, roasted carrots, cooked turkey, and caramelized onions.
- Bake muffins at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Storage tips: Store muffins in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If freezing muffins or pancakes, thaw in refrigerator overnight to eat for breakfast, or place a frozen muffin in your lunchbox in the morning to be ready to eat by lunch. Muffins are especially good if reheated in microwave or toaster oven.
Options: Add 2 ½ cups of milk or non-dairy drink to make this recipe as pancakes. Top warm pancakes or muffins with a grated cheese and/or cooked apples.