Our customers and in our own kitchen we are coming up with ways to use the Black Bean brownie Mix. Birthdays, hot summer days or for anyone needing a treat these ice cream sandwich can have many variations and target many allergens. Use a sorbet rather than ice cream if you need to be dairy free, raspberry makes for an impressive presentation.
- 1 package of Breads From Anna Black Bean Brownie Mix
- ¾ cup arrowroot starch (potato starch, corn starch, or tapioca starch will also work) plus more for dusting
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Ice cream or sorbet of your choice
Making the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all ingredients with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Cover bowl with plastic and chill for 20 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On your cutting board, sprinkle arrowroot starch (or any other starch). Place the dough in the middle of the board and sprinkle with your chosen starch. Roll one rectangle of dough out to ¼ inch in thickness -- approximately 9 by 11 inches.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out round cookies. Repeat using the remaining dough for a total of approximately 24 cookies.
- Using a toothpick, poke holes into the cookies (5 rows with 3 holes in each row).
- Place the cookies approximately 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheets. Transfer the baked cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
**For a crispier cookie: After all of the cookies have baked and cooled place them back on the cookie sheets. Turn off the oven. Place the cookies sheets back into the warm oven and leave to dry overnight.
Assembling the Sandwiches: Place half of your cookies face down on a clean work surface. Place one piece of ice cream or sorbet on each of the cookies and top with remaining cookies. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and freeze until set, approximately 30 minutes