A gluten-free version of a classic. This biscuit recipe is not only delicious, it's versatile! We've offered up a few suggested variations but the possibilities are endless.
- 1¼ cups Breads From Anna Gluten, Soy, Rice, Corn, Diary Free Mix
- ¾ cup potato starch
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of your preferred sweetener (sugar, honey, maple syrup)
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk (or non-dairy substitute such as almond or coconut milk)
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- Pre-heat oven to 450°F.
- Combine mix, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Mix well.
- With pastry blender or fork, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stirring with fork, add milk until mixture leaves sides of bowl and forms a soft, moist dough.
- Toss dough on a surface lightly dusted with potato starch until no longer sticky.
- Roll or press dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with floured 2-inch round cutter. Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.
Add 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, herbs, and garlic.
Top with a generous spreading of your favorite preserves.
Use a biscuit to make your own breakfast sandwich.