My good friend and fellow celiac Ellen Allard AKA the Gluten Free Diva came up with a fantastic and very easy Matzo. Our recipe is adapted from her original recipe and if you need to follow Jewish practices Ellen has tips in her blog for making the Matzo, I have also included a few of her tips below.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Pour gluten-free bread mix into mixing bowl; add very cold water.
- Note from Ellen: from this moment on, in order to make "the real deal, kosher-for-Passover (Sephardic) matzo", no more than 18 minutes must pass from the time the water touches the flour until you put it in the oven.
- Blend mix and cold water together with a spatula.
- Put blended dough directly onto a lightly oiled pizza stone and roll out with a well dusted rolling pin.
- As soon as it is the desired thinness, prick dough all over with the tines of a fork.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Additional Notes from Ellen:
- Don't even waste time pulling out the oven rack - even a few seconds more on the baking sheet can burn the matzo. Simply use a long-handled spatula to remove the matzo from the parchment paper, placing it on a rack to cool. Then remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- Let the matzo totally cool before putting it in a Ziploc bag. I would even go so far as to leave it uncovered for a day before putting it in a Ziploc bag. You want the matzo to stay crisp.